Saturday 13 September 2008

Review of Ben Elton's Blind Faith - Social Media has yet to convince everyone!!



Whilst it is true that as I read it I was reminded of Nineteen Eighty Four by the totalitarian nature of the public rule; It's a completely different style of novel with a completely different message. Privacy is illegal, everyone shares everything, people are constantly watched big brother style in their own homes and group hugs are compulsory. Silence is an expensive commodity. Read this book, laugh at it, then go and watch tv or speak to a teenager or work in a certain office I may or may not work in and be very, very scared.

This is 1984 for the MySpace generation. Ben Elton is a shadow of himself.If we want pontification, we can plug into Gordon Brown. Is it a reworking of 1984? Is it an allegory of our CCTV society? Is it a swipe at fundamentalism? To be honest I do not know

With thanks to
M. Stapleton "Mel Stapleton" Queenie91 "Queenie" Helenbookworm M. van Beek "Noldor" M. D. Colebourne "Blackblade" Careless Heart Roger Boyle

Ms. K. Phillips can have the final word

Sorry for writing a review Ben, Amazon likes us to "share"

Of course all these reviews are from Amazon.co.uk (I got lazy on this entry)

1 comment:

  1. hey, do you have this book, I'd love to read it, but I am not sure if I want to buy it now...

    ReplyDelete